Friday, June 3, 2016

Getting Dressed

When I was a kid, my parents would buy hand-me-downs from a mom with only boys... This is how I dressed most of my childhood. Girly outfits (still very vivid in my mind) can be counted on one hand: plaid skirt during a summer fair when I was about 9, flowery dress for grade 6 graduation, grey prom "dress" worn with converse (it amazes me that I had a date!) and my sister's knee length skirt for high school graduation.

I remember the day when I bought my first skirt (in my 20s!). It was fitted, black and I felt pretty! Soon after, I got my first post-univeristy job and that's when I really made an effort to dress like a lady. Lots of nice dresses, skirts and blouses, always in heals. My first apartment had 5 closets, and I was able to fill them all with fancy shoes and frilly womanly pieces.

Then I had Baby and postpartum was all about comfort. Looking nice and fashion is the last thing on a new mom's mind! It's been two and a half years since Baby was born and I'm still wearing my uniform of cotton leggings, tank top, and plaid oversized shirt. Forget body-con, no more stalkings, don't even think of seeing me in a pair of heals, or even a bra! I've become hyperaware of how fabrics feel on my skin (everything is itchy, even cashmere). I make an effort to dress up on special occasions but as soon as I'm home, I take off all my clothes and take a shower with a sigh of relief. I'm pretty sure that the trauma of giving birth and the discomfort for weeks afterwards has caused this sensitivity. I can't deal with buttons, zippers, wires and most fabrics. I got rid of almost all of my clothes.

Now that the weather is getting warm, I feel like I don't have anything left to wear! Stores seem to only be selling short shorts or rompers like this:


I mean come on!! Only a preteen can pull this look off!

I don't know where to shop anymore. Until I find a romper with a long torso and long shorts or elastic waist skirts and bermudas, you might see me in these unisex beauties:




     

No comments: