Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Healing

I've been living with a pretty debilitating auto immune disease and this year, my rheumatologist advised me that there is a chance (1 in 5!) that it may develop into something life threatening. With no hope of a cure, prevention is my only defence. In April I had my first appointment with a naturopathic doctor. After a physical, taking my blood and history, she put me on a cocktail of supplements: NAC (see video), ginkgo, mushroom concentrate, omegas, niacin, vit d, iron, magnesium and probiotics to start. I've also changed my diet completely, avoiding the following trigger foods: gluten (!), dairy, eggs, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts, pees and mustard. Almost all I eat and put on my skin is organic. I no longer wear perfume (the new second hand smoke for auto immune sufferers). Though it's not easy for a vegetarian to follow such a restrictive diet, after only 5 weeks, I'm starting to notice a change. Yes, I'm still exhausted, but my mood has improved, my stomach no longer hurts and I'm finally sleeping more soundly. I'm starting to believe that I can change my biochemistry. My body is healing. There is hope after all!




No comments: