Sunday, July 24, 2016

Moms Know

Having a child with special needs has put me in contact with many (not so competent) health care professionals. There were 4 different Drs that ignored me when I knew something was wrong with Baby's digestive system (we later found out it was a severe blockage). There was a nutritionist who stressed me out (for nothing) for months about Baby's weight and kept pushing meat (!?) and Pediasure. 1 Dr who prescribed unnecessary invasive testing (thank God I didn't go through with any of them). The worst social worker. 1 physiotherapist who made me feel bad for not putting Baby in daycare and unnecessarily stopped services because Baby was "too small and difficult to deal with". I've suffered through hospital protocol of fasting, gavage, needles, constant interruptions, the worst conditions for Baby and any new mom. I've been scarred by the beginning of this journey, but I'm also learning a lot as I go. I now know that not all recommendations are right, it's ok to say no or get a second opinion, and that my instincts as a mom are usually always right. Moms just know.

No comments: