Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Change is Hard!!

After years of losing feeling in my extremities (several times a day!), headaches, diarrhea, fatigue, general stiffness, sore muscles and countless tests, Drs say I have a chronic auto-immune disease that may or may not (50% chance) develop into "something serious". The chance that I'll be fine is comforting, but my symptoms over the past 2 years have been getting progressively worse and I don't feel fine. Besides my own antibodies attacking my healthy cells, stress is a contributing factor, as is diet.

I've internalized a lot of stress over the past 3 years. There's a test you can take that assess your stress level. Mine is at 518  ... Not good.  Exercise is a good way to manage stress and help with my joints, muscles, lungs and blood flow. I used to exercise ALL THE TIME. I was strong and couldn't go more than 2 days without doing something sweat related. Now I'm lucky if I can go to my yoga class 1-2 times a month! I've lost weight, muscle and will power.

I've read that auto immune diseases can be controlled with proper (restrictive) diet: no gluten, no sugar, no coffee, no alcohol, no dairy, no chemicals (organic only please), no processed foods, no fried yumminess. This paleo type of diet is difficult when you're a vegetarian! Being addicted to caffeine and chocolate doesn't help either. Like major addicted people.

Change is hard. I have to re-learn how to put on my running shoes. I have to give up my morning coffee and manage cravings without shooting somebody... It seems overwhelming and I honestly don't know if I can do it!

Next week I'm going to a cleansing yoga retreat to reset my body. No sugar, caffeine or alcohol 7 days leading up to the weekend, only fresh fruits and veggies 2 days before, then 3 days of yoga, seminars and only fresh juice (3 times a day). I plan to relax, stretch, (complain), and hopefully come home to a new lifestyle. I'll keep you posted...


No comments: