Saturday, May 23, 2009

Africa 1990

When I was 7 years old, my parents took my sisters and I to Africa for one month. As a young girl, I wasn't able to appreciate a lot. I remember being scared at the airport upon arrival: the smells, the sounds, the attention to the point of harassment. We went on safari for a week and I remember the blazing sun, the poverty, being sick almost everyday from the bumpy roads, the dry heat- a stark contrast from the cold winter we left behind. However, remembering now what I experienced then, I feel that I owe so much to my parents for exposing my sisters and I to such an adventure. I have fond memories of visiting my mom's family and of their hospitality. We learned the vastness of this Earth, its beauty and its struggles. We got to see wild animals lounging in the sun, attracting mates, hanging from trees. Maybe my love for animals stems from that trip, most likely is has. Africa will always be a cherished memory, truly an adventure of a lifetime.

photographs by Nick Brandt

No comments: