Sunday, December 21, 2008

Less time to re-do and re-do


As kids, my sisters and I had agreed upon a “cut-off” age- the age we considered to be full fledged adulthood. The age was 26, when we would have finally become sophisticated, independent, strong, fearless and most of all, experienced women. Today we joke about how we perceived age as kids. But with my 26th birthday looming, I can’t help but wonder: was our perception of age completely ridiculous?

As a kid I couldn’t wait to grow up and be that woman. But the more I aged the more those new experiences, that we only get to encounter as adults, scared me... I’ve avoided small things like driving and bigger things like relationships. I realize that I may have caused a delay in the natural progression of “growing up” and that I’m not a kid anymore and that time isn’t boundless; however, I also realize that taking ones time has its virtues too.

Though I may not be filled with as much confidence and experience as my child self would have like me to have at this age, I am filled with hope for an adulthood overflowing with love & happiness because today I am open to accept the treasures that only new experiences can bring... and my inexperience allows me to appreciate those treasures that much more.

Try it as they the might
No one is immune to
Misfiring and acting on the wrong clues
Always thinking there's time to re-do and re-do

From See These Bones- Nada Surf

No comments: