Sunday, September 20, 2015

Dos and Don'ts of Dodos

Forget sleep all together for the first 4 months of Baby's life. Dodos have no pattern, usually last between 15 minutes to 2 hours and never leave mommy enough time to fall asleep after rocking, pumping, eating, interruptions, appointments, showering, cleaning, worrying, making phone calls, crying, filling out paper work etc. I was so sleep deprived that now, a year and a half later, I'm honestly still recovering physically and mentally from that time.

After 4 months, dodos started getting a little bit more regular but Baby still woke up every 2 hours during the night to drink milk up until 16 months, when I decided to stop breast feeding. No breast to sleep meant that I had to put Baby in carrier and bounce on the exercise ball to fall asleep. At some point, this got very tiring so I decided to put Baby in the bed instead, and let him fall asleep on me. A few months ago, experts told me I needed to stop this horrific pattern of co-sleeping so I went back to bouncing on the ball with the baby carrier, but this time transferring him to the crib once asleep. Last week (other) experts told me that I was damaging Baby's "elastic hips" (non medical term) with the baby carrier so now we're back to falling asleep on mommy in the bed. I have to eventually get Baby to fall asleep on his own in his own crib but this seems like an impossible task...

The business of dodos is all so exhausting,


No comments: